Fenwick & West, the Silicon Valley law firm that served as FTX US’s principal outside counsel before the exchange’s 2022 collapse, has agreed to pay $54 million to settle claims that it helped enable Sam Bankman-Fried’s fraud, according to a court filing on Friday.
The Fenwick settlement is the biggest piece of a second wave of FTX class settlements filed in federal court in Miami before U.S. District Judge K. Michael Moore. Auditor Prager Metis agreed to pay $11.75 million, and former Miami Heat forward Udonis Haslem, an FTX promoter, will pay $420,000.
Customers’ lawyers told the court that Fenwick “helped to craft and implement strategies that facilitated FTX’s fraud.” Fenwick rejected that account in a statement to Reuters, saying it “was not aware of the fraud at FTX, stands by the integrity of its legal work, and disputes wrongdoing of any kind.”
The filing folds in three more defendants on top of an earlier round of class settlements with 15 defendants that the court preliminarily approved in stages between December 2024 and July 2025. That first wave covered Bankman-Fried himself, former Alameda chief Caroline Ellison, ex-FTX engineering chief Nishad Singh, co-founder Gary Wang, former Fenwick partner Dan Friedberg (who later served as FTX’s chief compliance officer), and 10 celebrity promoters including Shaquille O’Neal, Tom Nash, Kevin Paffrath, Graham Stephan, Andrei Jikh, and Erika Kullberg.
Customer lawyers Adam Moskowitz and David Boies, the latter of whom is well known for his prior work representing Theranos, Jeffrey Epstein’s victims and disgraced film producer Harvey Weinstein, are also asking the judge to certify a single class covering anyone who held crypto or fiat on FTX, enrolled in a yield product, or bought FTT, FTX’s exchange token. FTX reported more than 1.2 million users at its peak, and the filing says the class is “in the millions.”
Plaintiffs also said they want to replace the FTX bankruptcy estate as the entity in charge of paying customers their share of the settlements. They are asking the court to install JND Legal Administration, citing cost and efficiency concerns with the estate. JND ran a similar program for the recent Ripple Labs class settlement.
To make sure claimants are not paid twice, the proposed allocation plan subtracts whatever each customer is recovering through the FTX bankruptcy from the value of their lost crypto, valued at CoinGecko prices on May 14, and fiat. FTT is only credited at the documented purchase price, and any FTT received for free is worth zero.
Not every investor is on board. A group of 18 individuals and three corporate plaintiffs from Hong Kong, Singapore, the UK, the EU, and South Korea, who say they have more than $500 million in losses, are pursuing their own lawsuit and asked the judge not to enter any orders that would sweep in their claims until he rules on a separate motion they filed earlier this year.
Fenwick still faces a $525 million civil suit in Washington, D.C. brought by 20 FTX victims against the firm, several current and former Fenwick attorneys, and other defendants, including Tyler Newby and Friedberg. That case, which alleges malpractice, fraud, and gross negligence, is not resolved by Friday’s deal.
The Fenwick settlement also stands out against the parallel class action that the same plaintiffs’ team brought against Sullivan & Cromwell, FTX’s bankruptcy counsel, in early 2024. The investors voluntarily dropped that suit in October 2024 after the court-appointed bankruptcy examiner concluded S&C was not complicit in the FTX fraud.
The settlement filing comes more than three years after FTX imploded in November 2022. Bankman-Fried is serving 25 years in federal prison after being convicted of stealing roughly $8 billion from customers and is appealing his conviction. The FTX bankruptcy estate has separately returned more than $5 billion to creditors and has pledged to make most customers more than whole on a dollar basis.
Judge Moore still has to grant preliminary approval of the second-wave deals before they can take effect. The plaintiffs are asking for a final approval hearing 90 days after that. Fenwick & West, Moskowitz, and attorney Anthony Scordo, who represents the foreign plaintiffs pursuing their own lawsuit, did not immediately respond to requests for comment from The Block.
Disclaimer: The Block is an independent media outlet that delivers news, research, and data. As of November 2023, Foresight Ventures is a majority investor of The Block. Foresight Ventures invests in other companies in the crypto space. Crypto exchange Bitget is an anchor LP for Foresight Ventures. The Block continues to operate independently to deliver objective, impactful, and timely information about the crypto industry. Here are our current financial disclosures.
© 2026 The Block. All Rights Reserved. This article is provided for informational purposes only. It is not offered or intended to be used as legal, tax, investment, financial, or other advice.
